Energy & Climate Change
In the 2010 Dalhousie University Campus Master Plan, Green Power Labs Inc. conducted a solar suitability assessment of the campus. A Campus Utility Master Plan [559 - KB] released in 2012 includes energy and water audits of buildings on campus. Energuide assessments have been completed for Dalhousie owned houses on all campuses. A University temperature guideline has been developed. Over 25 utility and climate projects have been completed and a number are underway.
On December 11, 2009, Dalhousie’s President at the time, Tom Traves, signed the University and College’s Climate Change Statement for Canada. Dalhousie's second edition of the University Climate Change Plan has been published in 2019. Greenhouse Gas (GHG) inventory reports are published annually.
Energy and Climate Change Projects
- Steam line fitted insulation (phase 1);
- Halifax and Agricultural Campus lighting upgrade;
- Lighting upgrades in campus houses;
- Energy meter installation, major lighting, HVAC, solar, and water upgrades to the Life Science Centre;
- Vending miser technology in vending machines at Halifax campuses;
- Natural gas conversion of the steam system at the Halifax campuses;
- LED and occupancy and daylight sensors in certain locations;
- Comprehensive water testing of drinking water fountains and faucets at the Halifax campuses;
- Annual replacement of water fountains with re-usable water bottle options;
- Development and implementation of a water reduction pledge [255 - KB];
- Replaced 632 old fridges and freezers on the Halifax and AC with ENERGY STAR appliances;
500 Internal Server Error
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.
- Urinal tank sensor controls;
- Housing insulation and air sealing;
- Compressed air and recommissioning projects;
- Renewable energy study for the Agriculture Campus;
- Implementation of major HVAC set back schedules;
- Campus-wide water fixture upgrades for HFX campuses (i.e. low flow toilets, aerators, shower heads);
- LEED Gold and Silver certified buildings.
- Recommissioning of buildings and high efficiency motor replacements;
- Major energy performance project (EPC) for the Tupper Building underway and planning for an EPC at the Chemistry Building;
- Biomass co-generation and hot water conversion for the Agricultural Campus;
- Kitchen, laundry, and lab equipment replacement;
- Planning for Halifax Campus Central Heating Plant Upgrades;
- Building dashboard software for energy, water, heat, and renewable systems;
- Major building systems and equipment are being retrofitted to recycle water in systems instead of dumping to drain;
- Steam line fitted insulation (phase 2);
- Water fixture upgrades Halifax campus;
- ECM controllers for kitchen walk-ins;
- Studies and air leakage testing on green houses and thermal envelope;
- Water turbine study;
- Geothermal field and 150 kw solar system with battery system on site in an emulated micro-grid LEED Gold building.