Garments and Linens
From the practices involved with growing raw materials, such as cotton, to the production factory, to shipping the final product to our stores, there are many crucial considerations to make when choosing clothing suppliers.
Key considerations that should be made for clothing purchasing include:
- Compliance with local law;
500 Internal Server Error
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.
- Active work to improve and environmental and social conditions in local communities;
- Written environmental sustainability policy, plan and program which address energy, waste, emissions, water, and local economic and community development;
- Organic practices or minimized use of pesticides in the production of raw materials;
- Shortened and transparent supply chain;
- Locally produced, where possible;
- Durable, long lasting clothing;
- Made with recycled materials.
Student societies are encouraged to consult the Sustainable Procurement for Student Societies Guide [PDF - 1.2 MB] for more information on sustainable procurement of textiles.
Dalhousie is currently researching sustainable textile programs to help guide new strategies for University textiles purchases.